Adaptive cruise

duanehydro

Anyone driven a car with it? It's absolutely crazy.... crazy.gif Some of the new dodges have it....having the car accelerate and stop without input feels just way wrong. I see problems in the future...( not to mention all the electronics are farmed out to the lowest bidder, lol)

txliberator

Sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. I have been told my diverter needs some adaptive feature, IDK.  :huh:

txliberator

Duanehydro said:
Well, it was hot that day, right? crazy.gif

:grin: Yessir! But seriously I don't care for everything to be computer controlled either.(coming from a guy that runs CNCs everyday)
Just like the drive by wire stuff, I'll take my chances with a Morse cable, thanks. lol

jimsplace

txliberator said:
Duanehydro said:

:grin: Yessir! But seriously I don't care for everything to be computer controlled either.(coming from a guy that runs CNCs everyday)
Just like the drive by wire stuff, I'll take my chances with a Morse cable, thanks. lol

I am the same way, but you do have to wonder, commercial airliners and the military's hottest aircraft are fly by-wire and mostly computer controlled.  It's my understanding the highest performance military planes require computers to fly. 
We mortals aren't capable of flying them because we are too slow.

:smile25:

txliberator

jimsplace said:
txliberator said:
Duanehydro said:

I am the same way, but you do have to wonder, commercial airliners and the military's hottest aircraft are fly by-wire and mostly computer controlled.  It's my understanding the highest performance military planes require computers to fly. 
We mortals aren't capable of flying them because we are too slow.

:smile25:

All true. In situations where not necessary it seems kinda silly tho. JMO

FormulaZR

The good news about Mopar's adaptive cruise control is that many parts of it are borrowed from Mercedes...which has had adaptive cruise control for about a decade.

While it's not the end all/be all of car features; it is kind of cool when you can't seem to find the "sweet spot" to follow the guy in front of you who appears to be going .25 mph slower than you. The braking feature must be useful to some, because I've seen many rear end accidents on straight 60-70 mph roads (which baffles me).

...and yes, computers are the reason the B-2 can fly. And one of the reasons the YB-35 and YB-49 didn't.

txliberator

FormulaZR said:
The good news about Mopar's adaptive cruise control is that many parts of it are borrowed from Mercedes...which has had adaptive cruise control for about a decade.

While it's not the end all/be all of car features; it is kind of cool when you can't seem to find the "sweet spot" to follow the guy in front of you who appears to be going .25 mph slower than you. The braking feature must be useful to some, because I've seen many rear end accidents on straight 60-70 mph roads (which baffles me).

...and yes, computers are the reason the B-2 can fly. And one of the reasons the YB-35 and YB-49 didn't.

That kinda puts in perspective. They are trying to make cars safer for everyone. That includes Asians and women. Bring on the computer controlls!

:grin: :grin:

ChryslerJet

Duanehydro said:
So far 7 posts without getting off track....won't be long now..... :smile20: :rolleyes:
We had another thread on something like this but I am going to behave from now on not going to stir up the pot might even just disappear for a while all threads should then be safe.

BTW to stay on topic I think this is pretty cool and yes all commercial airplanes are drive by wire with double and triple backup systems.  Take a look at the wiring schematics for the AirBus and the Boeing 787.

FormulaZR

ChryslerJet said:
Duanehydro said:
So far 7 posts without getting off track....won't be long now..... :smile20: :rolleyes:
We had another thread on something like this but I am going to behave from now on not going to stir up the pot might even just disappear for a while all threads should then be safe.

BTW to stay on topic I think this is pretty cool and yes all commercial airplanes are drive by wire with double and triple backup systems.  Take a look at the wiring schematics for the AirBus and the Boeing 787.

True...but the baddest airplane (IMO) ever built - A10- still has direct link to control surfaces as the last resort.

Actually, if you're ever bored and haven't read about it...read up on the A-10 and all the design features that make it one tough SOB.

The technology I don't understand is the whole talk to your car thing. My Mercedes had this - you could tell it to change the radio, turn on the wipers, etc. But really, by the time I convinced the German car to take Texas instructions - I could've just reached over and hit the knob/button. Usually there were great arguments that ensued every time I used this feature. Ford's Sync works a little better, but still...

The technology I LOVE: back up cameras/sensors. Boy are these great!

ChryslerJet

FormulaZR said:
The technology I don't understand is the whole talk to your car thing. My Mercedes had this - you could tell it to change the radio, turn on the wipers, etc. But really, by the time I convinced the German car to take Texas instructions - I could've just reached over and hit the knob/button. Usually there were great arguments that ensued every time I used this feature. Ford's Sync works a little better, but still...
It must have been the German language barrier

Disturbed

ChryslerJet said:
Duanehydro said:

NOT.

The new ones, yes.........  Most commercial airliners are not that new.

ChryslerJet

DISTURBED said:
ChryslerJet said:
Duanehydro said:

NOT.

The new ones, yes.........  Most commercial airliners are not that new.
Okay sorry should have consulted with Tim first yes I meant all new Commercial Airplanes. 

blazeracer

txliberator said:
Duanehydro said:

Drive by wire will never work in a boat... um...... I was thinking of trying a way to rig in a cruise control. Definitely can be done..

Attachments

• IMG_20120425_095158.jpg
    IMG_20120425_095158.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 60

ChryslerJet

blazeracer said:
txliberator said:
Duanehydro said:

Drive by wire will never work in a boat... um...... I was thinking of trying a way to rig in a cruise control. Definitely can be done..
LOL I was wondering when you were going to chime in on this one.

crazy.gif

txliberator

blazeracer said:
txliberator said:
Duanehydro said:

Never said it can't or shouldn't be, just not for me.

FormulaZR

I'm still not a fan of the DBW stuff on the GM. It works great, but it REALLY frustrates me. By golly when I say I want 100% throttle, that's what I mean. Not I say I want 100%, the computer calculates current conditions and decides that I should really only get 87% throttle. Pretty irritating when you're trying to pull a stuck truck out in 4 Hi and it won't hardly break a tire loose because of all the computer's calculations. Yes, a tune would fix this...but so would a cable. Servos belong on rc airplanes, not my damn throttle body.

That said, I know of two guys with DBW boats; one works well - and the other is very frustrated with his. So it can obviously work!