Predator Carb on a Jet Boat.

blazeracer

Stickman has a thread in projects where he has a Predator on a BBC in a 25 foot cruiser. When I first got my boat it had a Carter AFB on it that was a DOG with that dang paper weight inside of it. So those Predators have a variable venturi. Is it mechanical, like when you hammer it, it opens up wide or is it like the Carter and waits for airflow to push it open?

blazeracer

Ok, did some reading. It's mechanical. Some guys on Socaljetboats say they have wicked throttle response. I would assune that makes them mechanical. They also say that Predators just LUUUUUV being on a tunnel ram... Oh, this may come as a surprise, they are NOT fuel efficient.. LOL

The Enforcer may not be a $2k project after all....

stickman07

Duanehydro said:
IMO, they are good for wot only. NO midrange/cruise. :smile20:

Mine will idle & cruise ALL DAY LONG w/o a hicup. Had a original 67 BB Vette 850 DP years back and @ WOT would drain the bowls even w/ a Mallory Comp 140 fuel pump. Sold it for big $$$$$ to a vette guy doing a resto, bought the Predator & have never looked back. I can't begin to tell ya how many Predators I sold back in my Super Shops days, but out of them all, I returned only 1. Basicly it mechanical fuel injection in a box, and fuel comsumption is a lot less than a Holley as well.

stickman07

blazeracer said:
Stickman has a thread in projects where he has a Predator on a BBC in a 25 foot cruiser. When I first got my boat it had a Carter AFB on it that was a DOG with that dang paper weight inside of it. So those Predators have a variable venturi. Is it mechanical, like when you hammer it, it opens up wide or is it like the Carter and waits for airflow to push it open?

Variable venturi works on airflow demand from the motor. Variable from 450-900cfm. If your cruisin' @ 3500 rpm & the motor wants 628cfm that's what it gets. 6800 rpm @ WOT & it wants 900 cfm, well you get the picture. Fuel consumption is directly related to your right foot.... :smile30:

WAFOBABY

They are nice carbs  They RAP  faster  than any carb I have ever see before.  I  know a guy who has one on a s10 with a BBC and it FLAT SCREEMS and its instand responce.  No its not a STREET TRUCK.  Its on a mud drag truck.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
We ran them along time ago, but we weren't crazy about them. They have that soooop noise like a quadrabog x 2. Did seem to like top end though! think.gif

Last Mohecian

Administrator
scarabscs said:
Ive never heard of a variable venturi carb, thats pretty interesting.

They were fairly popular until electronic fuel injection came along.  Somewhere around the mid to late 80's it all started to change.  We sold quite a few when I worked at Super Shops as well.  Never had one come back.  I believe Predator actually went under.  They are back now but I don't think it is the original company that is making the new ones.

http://www.predatorcarb.com/

HellinnFrnt

my neighbor was an engineer for Kendig back in the day and he had a bunch of the Kendig race cars as well I thought it was slick chit when I was 15 !

blazeracer

Last Mohican said:
scarabscs said:

They were fairly popular until electronic fuel injection came along.  Somewhere around the mid to late 80's it all started to change.  We sold quite a few when I worked at Super Shops as well.  Never had one come back.  I believe Predator actually went under.  They are back now but I don't think it is the original company that is making the new ones.

I don't know man, that website looks all 80's. It may be the original company!!

Last Mohecian

Administrator
blazeracer said:
Last Mohican said:
scarabscs said:

I don't know man, that website looks all 80's. It may be the original company!!

I guess it could be.  Creation date for the domain is 1997.

Becket

I am fixin to "Carb up" any Idea how these animals act in 2x4 Configuration on a tunnel ram???  think.gif

3boatpaul

if they are single circuit carb's  at one time there were kit's and instructions on how to drill for another circuit
for them.  just made them a lot more user friendly for cruising.  just got rid of two of them that had the
exter circuit .

stickman07

Got two of em now. They have been a bit tricky but seem to be real close now.
type8a7u.jpg